Monday, October 22, 2012

Everything is moving forward!

Sorry for such a hiatus from posting.  For a while there was not much to update and then all of a sudden things became very hectic!  I'm going to break it up into a few posts over the next few days.

In my last post I mentioned that we would like to have some tactile models of the Mercury and Gemini Capsules, as well as of the Blue Angel.  In the end it turns out that our own fantastic in-house production staff can create the models!  I'm very excited about this, since they do great work.  The first model will hopefully be started next month and I can't wait to see how amazing it will look.


While waiting for everything to work out with purchase orders, I've been prototyping the microwavable plush characters.  They're getting better (I think) and with each one I'm learning.  I'll have a whole post on them later in the week (hopefully) once I unite the last character with the rest of the bunch at work and can take many pictures.


I did have a surprise waiting for me on my desk on Saturday when I got into work; the electronic Brailler we ordered had arrived!  I didn't expect it to get in so quickly and was quite excited.



A white box marked "Braille Paper" sits on an off-white desk with a legal pad of yellow paper on a clipboard to the left in a metal basket, as well as a roll of scotch tape in a dispenser, a white hole puncher and a calculator.  There are also some papers with the NASA logo just behind the white box.
I thought I'd received the Braille Paper we ordered but soon discovered otherwise...


A smaller brown box with black writing that reads, "Braille Labeler" sits on the same off-white desk.
Yay!  It's the Braille Labeler!


Now upon the same off-white desk, the small brown box is open and inside is a blue oval object which is the Braille Labeler, some black wires and white Braille tape, extra brown cardboard, a cd to install the program for the labeler with a white label on it, an instruction manual with a white cover and another instruction manual sticking out of another brown box that was inside the first box and contains the manual in Braille and has a blue plastic binding.
Everything needed to get started and the labeler itself (the blue object); there was even an instruction manual in Braille included.

Our wonderful volunteer, Deb, who does all our Brailling (and has been teaching me to read and write Braille) will be so happy!  She's been labeling everything in Braille by hand!  This will allow her to do more in a short amount of time and will keep her hand from cramping and hurting.


Okay, I promise there will be more updates this week.  Until then!







No comments:

Post a Comment