Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Awash in Tactile Stars

So many stars!  I feel like I should start this post by apologizing to my high school sewing teacher.  Mrs. Foster (as well as Live Oak High School and the Morgan Hill Unified School District for forcing me to take an applied art), if you ever see this, thank you for what you taught me.  I always questioned why I HAD to take sewing to graduate but man am I glad I did now!  I don't know how I ever would have gotten these stars made if I didn't!  I've now made a full set of characters out of the final materials.

I did manage to break eight needles for my sewing machine in the process (and also learned that there are denim needles which would have prevented breaking so many).  Seeing the final materials come together in the form of the characters though was pretty cool.  



On a green cutting board with a white grid overlay sits four Big Daddy Plush Star Characters.  Three sit together in the middle and one is set apart to the top left.  The three are the new stars that will see programs with children and the one apart is the original prototype.  All four stars are made from a red satin and are slightly larger than a softball.  The stars all wear sunglasses, have a black goatee and eyebrows, small eyes, a large nose and straight mouth.  Each star has rays protruding from it as well.
Three new Big Daddy plushes with my original prototype off to the left 



I did have to make some modifications though.  Each star now has Velcro up the back so that the rice can be removed and heated separately and the characters can be washed after being handled.



Hopefully the visitors will like the stars and find them helpful!  A big thank you to Chris from our Production Department for donating the industrial strength denim! 



On a piece of wood sits a set of the star characters, complete and ready for their first program.  They sit in a row ranging from coldest star to hottest star going left to right:  Big Daddy the red star is made of satin, has a large nose, small eyes, sunglasses and a black goatee and is the size of a softball; Mr. Old-Timer Orange Star is the size of a cantaloupe and has old, half closed eyes, a hooked nose, a couple moles (one on his nose and one on his large chin), and big fluffy white eyebrows and a big white mustache; Little Star the average yellow star is the size of a baseball and is made of a quilted yellow cotton with ample cheeks, a smile, brown eyebrows, a small nose and big eyes and a tuft of yellow hair at the top of his head; Pearl the white star is the size of a basketball, is made of white velvet, has a large pointy nose, white hair in a bob fashion, oval feminine eyes with eyelashes and dainty brown eyebrows and a weary smile; Mr. Angry Blue-White Star is made of light blue denim and is a bit bigger than Mr. Old-Timer Orange Star, with glaring eyes, a very large nose, a grimace for his mouth and furrowed white eyebrows.
A complete final set of star characters!  From left to right (and coldest to hottest): Big Daddy a Red Star, Mr. Old-Timer Orange Star, Little Star/Sol a Yellow Star, Pearl a White Star, and Mr. Angry Blue-White Star

No comments:

Post a Comment